Friday, May 30, 2014

Sault Ste. Marie & Tahquamonon Falls

 
Soo Locks
 
We stayed our third night in Sault Ste. Marie.  On Sunday morning we found a small branch to go to for church.  It took us awhile to find the building because it shared with other organizations.  There were twenty people there.  They were bummed that we weren't moving into the area.  Blake said that we should move there because they wanted us too.
 
After church we went to see the Soo Locks.  This is where big boats drop between Lake Superior and Lake Huron everyday.  The water is higher between these Lakes so they built different locks to help lower the boat and send it on its way. 
 
One fun fact I read in their visitors center was that if you took all the water from the five great lakes and spread it across the United States, the U.S. would be covered in almost 10 feet of water. 
 
 
 
 
Upper and Lower Tahquamonon Falls
 
I have decided that I love waterfalls.  I remember feeling this way when we went to Niagra Falls.  Something about them is magical.  There were two parts to these falls and we walked along trails to see them.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pasties from Muldoons in Munising
 
We had heard that we had to try pasties (pah-stees) while we were in the upper peninsula.  Someone said they are like chicken pot pies without the pot.  I guess a long time ago people would take them to work and put them in their coats to keep themselves warm as well as the food.
 
 
 
 
They tasted fine but I wasn't wowed with them.  At the end of the trip Janie informed me that the worst part of the whole vacation was when we stopped to eat these.  She wasn't a fan.

No comments: