Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mackinac Island

On Saturday morning we took a ferry over to Mackinac Island.  The perimeter of the island is 8 miles and there are not any cars on it--just horse drawn carriages and bikes.  We decided to rent bikes so we could see all around the island.  We had one bike with the tag along for Blake to ride on, and another bike with the carrier to pull Janie and Ty.  Even though it was heavier to pull the younger two, that seat was more comfortable so that is what I rode.  Any time there was a slight incline I couldn't pull it and had to get off and walk it up.  Eric and I would switch occasionally.  I would just sit on the uncomfortable seat and Blake would pedal and push both of us.  We had the bikes for four hours.  It was fun but kind of a lot of work.  Ty finally fell asleep which was helpful (because then he wasn't pulling Janie's hair.)  Janie sang Frozen to everyone as we rode by.
 
 
 
 
 
Behind them is the bridge that connects Michigan to the upper peninsula.  We crossed it later that night.
 
 
 
 Here is the Grand Hotel.  I wanted to go inside but you have to pay ten dollars to go in.  I stopped on a somewhat steep slope to take a quick picture.  Eric and Blake were already down the hill.  A nice man came over to take the picture, and then my bike fell down and broke off the carrier.  It was so embarrasing--I'm big pregnant pulling these kids, trying to take a picture and not doing a good job of it.  Then a couple of his friends came over and helped hook the bike back to the carrier.  Eric walked up the hill laughing.
 
 
 Fudge is a famous treat made on the island.  There is a little downtown area and every other store was making/selling fudge.  We tried some samples and then bought some--German chocolate, chocolate cookies, and turtle flavored.
 

No comments: