I noticed Cal had developed a cough on a Saturday night. Over the next few days I went into a steamy shower bathroom to help him breath better. I debated whether or not to take him in. I made an appointment for him on Monday but then cancelled it because I didn't want to take all five kids in as well. On Tuesday night Cal drank his bottle but then threw a lot of it up. Wednesday morning he did the same so I made an appointment right then and took him in.
The doctor said his oxygen was a little low. She tried a breathing treatment but it didn't make a difference. She told me that he was breathing fast and that he needed to go to the hospital. She said that he needed help breathing so that his body doesn't have to work so hard to breath and eventually poop out. I started to cry. She said that he had bronchiolitis.
Luckily Eric had come and was in the parking lot sitting in the car with Ty and Chet. I wanted to be able to focus on Cal and Eric was able to take a break from work. He took the boys home and I took Cal to the hospital. I was emotionally unstable and eager to get him into a room and in the care of doctors and nurses. Everyone was so kind and helpful. They educated me and answered all of my questions.
Eric was able to miss some work that week. We also had a friend help watch our kids on which happened to be a snow day. We made it to Friday and Cal seemed to be doing better. They said we could go home, but that Cal was still sick so we needed to watch for rapid breathing or retractions while breathing. At that point there wasn't anything they were doing at the hospital that I couldn't do at home. I was nervous to go home but grateful we could.




No comments:
Post a Comment