Sunday, January 26, 2014

Poor Baby

Ty caught a bad stomach bug that lasted a full week.  It started last Saturday night when he started throwing up at midnight.  He threw up at least 10 times last Sunday and had the worst diarrhea.  He already has skinny little arms and legs so it made him look even thinner to me.  All week he continued to throw up, have diarrhea, and mid week he started to refuse food or drink.  He learned to say the word no to me as I offered him any food/treat that he wanted and he would say no to everything.  It was heartbreaking.  I had to distract him to get some food in him and that wasn't even successful. 
 
I gave Ty so many baths this week.  From the weather and all the cleaning my hands are so cracked and have been bleeding.  I did so many loads laundry.  One night I held him as he fell asleep.  He woke up and threw up all over my sweatshirt.  I washed it and later realized my fitbit was in the pocket and is now broken.
 
On Thursday he was so weak.  He took three naps and when he was awake would lay on me and whine and say "owie."  He wouldn't play in the basement or let me read him books--things he loves.  That night I bought a new flavor of pedialyte hoping that would help him drink it.  I woke him up to try to put some in his mouth with a syringe.  He took a few but was crying because he didn't like it.  And then he started throwing up a lot.  I lost it and started crying.  I was so worried about him and it felt like he was never going to get better.
 
My friend Stephanie came over to stay home while Blake and Janie slept, and Eric and I took Ty to the ER around 10p.m.  They said his vitals were ok so it was up to us if we wanted to give him an IV of fluids.  I hesitated because the doctors weren't telling me that it was necessary--but Eric told me we didn't come to the ER for a sip of apple juice--and he was right because our intention was to hydrate him.  So Ty got an IV and he did great.  He only cried for a few seconds and then just watched all the people around him.  Afterwards he perked right up and started drinking all his juice and water they offered him.  He started talking more which made me notice how much he hadn't been talking all week.  I was so glad. 
 
Saturday night he finally started acting like himself.  We formed a bad habit of watching a lot of shows this week.  Today he asked for E-I-E-I all day.  Blake and Janie were sweet to Ty and always covered him up with blankets to make him comfy for his shows.  I love how Janie is holding Ty's face and how she thinks that stripes on stripes automatically match.
 
This week helped me realize how much I love my little baby.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I didn't care about the mess because Ty was finally eating! 

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

So heart-wrenching to read it even though I knew it already. I am so glad Ty is better. We love him too :)

Briana Weir said...

awwwww! dawg!! i'm so sorry :( i missed your call tonight because i was phlosiphizing for nate's class... tell you about that later!

Lydiahawke said...

:( glad he is doing better now!